Dealing with a fire in your home or business can be a traumatic experience. Whether you are present during the incident or dealing with fire and smoke damage, it can cause a lot of unnecessary stress and discomfort. There are going to be times when a fire is unavoidable, but there are many household incidents that can be avoided with a little mindfulness and knowledge. Here are some tips for how to avoid a fire within your residential or commercial property.
Practice Safe Kitchen Etiquette
Many house fires start in the kitchen, so a little extra mindfulness can go a long way. Grease and oil are highly flammable and can cause a fire to spread rapidly once started. Always make sure to clean your stovetop between uses and be attentive when frying or cooking with grease and oil. Fabrics can easily catch flame, so be aware of your clothing, cleaning towels, curtains, and other fabrics in your kitchen. Make sure not to get them too close to intense heat or open flames. It is also important to be mindful of burnt food, as that can cause a fire as well. Set a timer when you are cooking to avoid burning food and causing a hazardous situation. Never leave cooking food unattended.
Smoke Detectors and Fire Extinguishers
Keeping your smoke detectors maintained can save your life in a dire situation, and can let you know of a fire before it gets out of control. Keep your smoke detectors clear of dust and debris by cleaning them regularly to ensure they are working efficiently. It is recommended to replace your smoke detectors every ten years. If your smoke detector relies on a battery or backup battery, be sure to change the batteries annually or if the detectors notify you that the batteries are running low.
Having a fire extinguisher in your home is also a great idea to help prevent fires from spreading out of control, if you can use them safely. Never put yourself at risk. There are many different types of fire extinguishers that you can keep in your home, like a rechargeable extinguisher or a disposable one. Make sure to maintain them accordingly, and to dispose of and replace them when the time is right.
Never Leave A Fire Unattended
Candles, fireplaces, and other open flames can easily start a house fire. Be sure to never leave an open flame unattended, regardless of size. If the flames come into contact with a flammable object it can lead to an unfortunate situation for you and your property.
Clean Your Appliance Filters
Cleaning your dryer lint trap between loads of laundry can make a big difference when trying to avoid house fires. It is also wise to regularly change or clean your AC filter. Most units recommend monthly or quarterly cleaning and replacement, depending on the type of filter your unit uses.
These recommendations take little effort, and can go a long way when helping to keep your family, employees, visitors, and property safe. We understand how overwhelming and stressful dealing with fire damage restoration can be, which is why we offer 24/7 emergency services. If you have experienced fire damage and are in need of restoration, call RestoreX now.